Number of Classrooms: Nine (9) classrooms
Site Capacity: Twelve (12). The site is organised for small groups of approximately 3 to 4 learners.
Class size: Each group is taught by a teacher and some students have their own allocated Teaching Support Assistant for learning and pastoral support. Staffing ratios are agreed by the local authority based on a risk scale and scoring system.
Co-Education: The site accommodates both boys and girls.
Mixed Ability: The site is for students in Key Stage 4 and for Year 9 students who are ready to access the Key Stage 4 curriculum in preparation for examinations.
Peer Interactions: Slade Road works within the family social model and encourages social integration of all students in a way that is manageable and achievable to them individually. Students are encouraged to come together as much as possible: breaks, lunch, social skills sessions and, where possible, academic lessons. Students are always supported by staff and monitored to report progress and provide safe and positive interactions.
Curriculum: Each student has a Key Stage Curriculum differentiated to their needs. They have access to all core subjects, all Humanities subjects, PE, ICT, Health and Social Care, PHSE and the Careers Steps Programme.
Although academic progress is extremely important, a strong focus of the work done is on developing the emotional literacy and communication skills of the students in order to develop their social skills and confidence.
Qualification that students achieve: GCSE, Functional Skills, NCFE, AQA Unit Awards and ASDAN.
Access to Intervention Team : Speech and Language Therapist; Music Therapist; Life Skills Coach; Mindfulness Teacher; Impartial Careers Adviser.
- Kitchen: All meals are cooked on site.
- Dining area: Students and staff share lunch times together so that we promote and demonstrate good social skills and manners.
- Medical room: Dedicated room for medically examining and treating students and for the short-term care of sick and injured students, includes showering facilities and a WC close by.
- Back garden: A secure tarmacked play area to the rear of the building, suitable for outdoor games such as football.
- Sensory: Chill out room
- Science lab: The site has a science laboratory for practical work. It is accessible for all students in the school.
- The DT workshop: The site also has a DT workshop which is accessible for all students in the school
Transitioning from Slade Road to Other Sites
The student’s risks and behaviours are managed very carefully and when the time is right with careful planning, the student, their parent(s)/carers along with the school’s internal professional team, the student will transition to the Post-16 site.
Slade Road is covered by CCTV cameras. For more information on our use of surveillance, please navigate to our CCTV Code of Practice Policy in the Privacy section.
Car parking space is very limited outside school sites and visitors are asked to take care when parking to ensure the safety of everyone arriving and departing. When visiting Slade Road please do not park in restricted parking zones as this may incur a fine. If the small car park at the front of the building is full then you can park on the small side roads, however, please be mindful of our immediate neighbours ensuring that you are not blocking driveways.
Head of Site
- Richard Squires
- Degree in Sport and Exercise Science BSC
- PE Teacher
- Mental Health First Aider
Creating a social, safe and creative atmosphere whilst promoting socialisation and group learning to help students prepare for the outside world whilst providing a challenging but rewarding environment to get the best from our students.